THIS WASC Accreditation Journey
Until the year of 2021, there are 72 schools in China and 12 International School in Beijing that have passed WASC accreditation. Tsinghua International School is one of them and the school successfully passed WASC Accreditation in 2016 and has been granted for 6 years. During the process of WASC accerditation, THIS constantly work with ACS WASC, actively absorbing the essence of international education, learning the experience of excellent primary and secondary schools around the world, constantly exploring the world’s top educational wisdom, and continuing to improve school’s academic standards.
What is WASC?
WASC全称为“西部学校与学院教育联盟” (Western Association of Schools and Colleges），成立于1962年，是美国教育部认可的非营利、非政府组织，由三个专业认证委员会组成。西部学校与学院教育联盟学校认证委员会（ACS WASC）为WASC主要认证委员会之一，美国六大地区认证机构之一，由35名来自美国各学校、协会和教育部委员组成，为世界各地的学校提供认证和帮助。
WASC is the acronym for “Western Association of Schools and Colleges” (Western Association of Schools and Colleges). It was established in 1962 and is a non-profit and non-governmental organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. It is composed of three professional certification committees. The Western Schools and Colleges Education Alliance School Accreditation Committee (ACS WASC) is one of WASC’s main accreditation committees and one of the six regional accreditation agencies in the United States. It is composed of 35 members from various schools, associations and the Ministry of Education in the U.S.
WASC accreditation is considered to be on eof the most authoriative institution for international school qulifications for its long and complex process and its rigorous assessment, known as the “Oscar of education”. The school that has been certified by it has proved that it has advanced school concepts, high-quality education and teaching, and also provides the society with the guarantee of the school’s reputation, which is authoritative and honorable.
THIS WASC History
In January 2016, the WASC committee awarded the International Department a six-year certification based on the recommendations of the evaluation team visiting THIS. However, certification is not lifelong tenure. The school needs to continuously improve and develop based on the recommendations of the assessment team to obtain the next round of certification qualifications.
What effort have we been doing?
After THIS acquired the WASC accreditation in 2016, with the purpose of promoting school development, teachers voluntarily signed up to set up corresponding committees to promote the overall improvement of school education and teaching quality in all aspects. Some of the committees are as followes:
1. The Curriculum Goal Committee discusses how to integrate the cultivation of core literacy in the 21st century with subject teaching, so as to realize the mission and core values of the school.
2. The Archives Committee is responsible for sorting out all important documents and data of the school.
3. The Independent Thinking and Argumentative Ability Committee discusses how to develop students’ independent thinking ability and expressing and discourse ability in each subject, and how to evaluate students’ learning achievements.
4. The data analysis committee analyzes the students’ various standardized test scores and other data, and derives the guiding significance of these data to education and teaching.
5. The Facilities and Equipment Committee is responsible for collecting and promoting the improvement of our teaching conditions.
6. The Computer Technology Committee updates the computer curriculum syllabus for grades 1-12.
7. The Gender Difference Committee pays attention to the gender differences of students and how to give full play to the advantages of gender in education and teaching.
8. The safety committee focuses on the safety of teachers and students in the school.